Flags Fly Forever November 20 2013, 0 Comments
We've been getting some great suggestions for tee designs and one of the most enthusiastic requests has been for us to do an Alameda Flag tee. We wholeheartedly agreed... Alameda has one pretty cool flag.
We did a little digging and found some fun Alameda flag facts:
- In early 1984, a local flag collector suggested to the mayor of Alameda that the city have its own flag.
- The city then launched a flag design contest open to all regardless of age or residency.
- By March 31st, 226 entries had been submitted to the city clerk.
- A panel of 5 judges narrowed the initial 226 designs down to 50 finalists.
- The winning design by Alamedan Donald Ingraham was announced on April 15.
- The very first Alameda flag, sewn by Alamedan Joanne Litherland, was raised on the City Hall flag pole on Flag Day, June 14, 1984.
A little Alameda historical tidbit from us to you…